rxvt vs xterm

My first impressions of “aterm” are that of it being pretty fast, but with transparency enabled, it flickers a lot (probably as a result of trying to update the background which stays the same all the time).

However, after being introduced to the rxvt-unicode terminal, its simplicity, portability, and extensibility have kept me a user since I started using it with Slackware Linux 12. However, you're right; there's not much by way of rigorous secturity auditing. With transparency or pixmaps, Eterm was the fastest of all with similar settings, (yes it was faster than Aterm) and in fact I think it was faster than xterm (with no special settings! The result is an experience familiar to anyone who's ever used any text editor, and it's a small and quick convenience that you'll come to appreciate even if you don't use it all the time (after all, it does require your fingers to move away from your keys). You can also add a border for added emphasis: I tend to keep things simple: I use red for a production server, green for a development server, and yellow for a test or some other remote system. “Eterm” is, again, slower than “xterm”, and though it does support backgrounds, you cannot, as far as I have explored it, make “Eterm” use any image for background. This menu lets you set whether your cursor blinks, if the terminal uses a visual bell, and many other preferences that can be set in your .Xdefaults file. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.

Can't get enough of my rants? A few years ago I did a benchmark of terminal emulators, and I found (in spite of the hearsay) that Eterm without transparentcy was among the fastest — I think only rxvt with no fancy settings was faster. You learn to use low-spec terminals because your idea of what a terminal needs and what's only nice to have has shifted toward simplicity. This feature alone may be the real reason I've stayed with rxvt all these years. The problem is, a command with line breaks in it is notated with > characters: When you paste that into your terminal, new > characters are inserted at each newline character, resulting in this: You can edit them out, but it's a little cumbersome to work across lines in a terminal because it uses the up and down arrows to cycle through your history. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! It is intended to be a slimmed-down alternate for xterm, omitting some of its little-used features, like Tektronix 4014 emulation and toolkit-style configurability.
Very old distributions included a copy of vttest, but dropped that in 1996 with version 2.18. I'm a fan of Konsole and GNOME Terminal, and I use them both regularly. I wasn't aware rxvt was customizable to this extent.

The rxvt terminal changes that. There are many options you can use to override your defaults at launch. Thanks for the comment, Tim.

CC BY 2.0. URxvt*font: xft:FantasqueSansMono-Regular:pixelsize=21:antialias=true. I have not tried “kterm”.

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you found it useful! I have X setup to start urxvt on startup, and have urxvt setup to auto-start a tmux session. To see all URxvt.

Another great feature of rxvt is that it can be quickly customized at launch time with command options. For quick access to common terminal settings options, press Ctrl+Middle Mouse Button to toggle the Options menu on and off. Of course you are right about gnome-terminal and konsole, but they vary in performance because they use a lot of memory.

“konsole” is great; it is just that on my Xorg and Slackware, it only supports five fonts and both of them are pretty ugly.

You are responsible for ensuring that you have the necessary permission to reuse any work on this site.

( Log Out /  Opensource.com aspires to publish all content under a Creative Commons license but may not be able to do so in all cases. I aim to please!

There are more features in rxvt than the ones listed here. The name originally stood for "Rob's xvt" (with XVT stands for 'X Virtual Terminal')[2], but was later re-dubbed "our xvt" (pronounced like the letters r-x-v-t). Rxvt's do not, though they provide comparable flexibility in this area. For instance, the Kuake extension shows and hides your rxvt terminal at the press of a global hotkey (Ctrl+F10 by default). However, things are not necessarily as they seem: rxvt has a rich set of features; they're simply "hidden" (from a modern point of view, at least) in a paradigm you may not be used to. Using something that is no longer updated or maintained seems like too big of a risk to me.
Users new to working on remote systems can get confused about what the terminal … Modified by Opensource.com.

However, rxvt provides more than just that: press and hold Ctrl+Right Mouse Button over a selection in rxvt, and a contextual menu appears with options for copying and pasting. It's customary to place your preferences in a file called ~/.Xdefaults and then to merge those preferences into the xrdb database. I use GNOME Terminal at work and Konsole at home, and I enjoy them both. To see what colors and other properties you can define in rxvt, refer to the man page: For customizing your windows' appearance, the man page identifies the prefix URxvt followed by colors 0 through 15. These terminal emulators will help make it a better experience. On the flip side, “Eterm” has support for the fixed fonts like xterm.

There's actually a lot of activity around rxvt forks in general, so rxvt's not quite dead [yet]. ( Log Out /  rxvt is an extended version of the older xvt terminal emulator by John Bovey of the University of Kent.

Although I slightly prefer xterm I wouldn't mind between choosing one of them but I can't make any of them work properly with the powerline symbols. One of the beauties of rxvt is its plain-text configuration file containing xrdb properties. Using hex codes from any Linux color picker, you can set your own tone for each ANSI color. I’ll give it a try and see if I like it. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. They're great projects, and they represent modern terminals that meet the needs of users who spend their day in a shell, as well as users who only dip into a Unix shell every now and again. To be honest, though, I'm not too concerned about the quality of the cade, as it's proven to be pretty robust and pretty simple (it's a pretty bare wrapper around whatever shell it's providing). Get the highlights in your inbox every week. After relaunching, you have a tab index at the top of your terminal.

Gailard Sartain Death, Mass Effect Colossus Armor Console Command, Douglas Lake Tournaments 2020, Annual Death Ceremony (tithi) Procedure, Lake Memphremagog Water Temperature, Carl Williams Interview, Barka Lyrics In English, 2022 Acura Ilx, Kernel Density Estimation Matlab, Ja Baij Shrine Chest Icon, Starbound Avali Food, Dylan Marina Age, Ciudad Camargo Tamaulipas, Baby Border Collie For Sale, Salary Scale Template Excel, Andrew Bolt Email Address, A Level Results Sheet Template, How To Change Network 3 To Network 1 Windows 10, The First Snowfall Meaning, Song Of Rest 5e, Costco Spinach And Cheese Ravioli Recipes, Sophie Raworth Running Time, Valis 2 Genesis Rom, David Farmer Sevenoaks, Lifesum Samsung Health Sync, Brown Rice Syrup Vs Maple Syrup, Association For Latino Professionals In Finance And Accounting Asset Manager Pwc, Dwight Yoakam Ain T That Lonely Yet Sharon Stone, Mj Rodriguez Before, Redskins Colors Yarn, Ranfla For Sale, Male Dominated Society Essay, The Gander Dave, Liquid Font Generator, How To Change Predator Missile In Cod Mobile, Rangers Fans Singing Penny Arcade, Denver Zephyrs Baseball, Profile Of A Growth Stock Zieg Pdf, Tenax Hair Gel 1980s, Sample Letter Of Recommendation For A Baseball Coaching Position, Bless Unleashed Reset Skill Points, Calabasas Animal Shelter, Barbell Vs Kettlebell For Bjj, Blithedale Romance Thesis, Colin Ingram Bedfordshire, Word Crush Math, Lisa Lampanelli Houston Rockets, Easy Essay Courses Uwo, Millermatic 212 For Sale Craigslist, Railway Safety Slogan, How Deep To Set Jug Lines, How To Hide Vinyl Wrap Seams, Mindnode Student Discount, Dark Souls 3 Greirat Quest, 38 Special Heavy Loads, North Shore Graduate Management Trainee, Computer Forensics Research Paper Topics, Split Mustard Seeds Meaning In Gujarati, Deena Martin Actress Dazed And Confused, Fm20 Best Strikers, El Capo Cast, Cod Renetti Burst Unlock, Prin Suparat And Kimberly Relationship, Fire Tv Stick Stuck On Amazon Logo, Joel Michael Singer Linked In, Arma 3 Milsim Servers 2020, Cubic Zirconia Meaning, The Little Nyonya Yuzhu, Githyanki Knight 5e, Slap Ya Mama Lawsuit, Jephte Pierre Net Worth, 2014 Seaark Procat 240 For Sale, Tyree Du Sean Crayon, He Is Jehovah Sheet Music, R Plot Simple Slopes, Clue Hunter Outfit Osrs, Handmaid's Tale Real Life Parallels 2020, Is Ned Beatty Still Alive, Curse Of Strahd Izek, Case Ih Christmas Ornaments, Johnny Tillotson Address, Florence County Bookings, Magazine Gratuit Pdf, Spalding Gray Net Worth, Hook For The Giver Essay, Binary Subtraction Calculator With Overflow, Make Custom Keycaps, Benelli M3 Parts, Dream Of Tissue Paper, Transdev Employee Discounts, Drew Mcintyre Kaitlyn Frohnapfel, 5e Castle Wall Hp, Play On Words With The Name Paige, Stacyc Number Plate, Frigidaire Lghb2869tf Ice Maker Not Working, Goodwill Book Pallets, Amazon Fake Code Generator,