metoprolol side effects weight gain

One of the arguments put forward against the primary use of β-blockers has been concern about adverse metabolic effects on the lipid profile or on insulin sensitivity. Do Birth Control Pills Affect Blood Glucose? What is the mechanism of action and what are this medicine side effects? 5 6 Another less-appreciated side effect is the propensity to cause weight gain.

Not anymore.

If I Have Type 2 Diabetes, Can I Still Eat Candy? Doctors aren't sure exactly why some beta blockers cause weight gain. Things to remember when you fill your prescription. Chest pains. 7 Overweight is now well recognized as an important predictor of overall death. Warn patients not to interrupt or discontinue therapy without physician advice. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects. Drug class: cardioselective beta blockers, fast, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse, inability to move the arms, legs, or facial muscles, pain, tension, and weakness upon walking that subsides during periods of rest, paleness or cold feeling in the fingertips and toes, seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there, swelling of the face, fingers, feet, or lower legs, tingling or pain in the fingers or toes when exposed to cold temperatures, Bluish color of the skin of the fingers or toes, continuing or severe abdominal or stomach pain, sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth, burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings, Bluish color of the fingernails, lips, skin, palms, or nail beds, feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings, loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance, redness or other discoloration of the skin, continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears, increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight, Change in taste or bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste. I had dosages from 25mg to 200mg. I've never had a weight issue, even after having four kids. Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances. Warn patients not to interrupt or discontinue therapy without physician advice. Each time I see it I am reminded of bad experiences I had with it and I wonder if others have seen similar side effects. Rapid Weight Gain With Metoprolol

If experienced, these tend to have a Severe expression, If experienced, these tend to have a Less Severe expression.

If angina markedly worsens or acute coronary insufficiency develops, metoprolol tartrate administration should be reinstated promptly, at least temporarily, and other measures appropriate for the management of unstable angina should be taken. Sign Up to Receive Our Free Coroanvirus Newsletter, Constriction Of Blood Vessels Of The Extremities, A Clot Or Thrombosis Of The Mesenteric Artery Of The Intestines, A Type Of Slowed Heart Rhythm Disorder Called Heart Block, Inflammation Of The Liver Called Hepatitis, Low Levels Of A Type Of White Blood Cell Called Neutrophils, Low Platelet Count And Bleeding From Immune Response, Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura, A Type Of Blood Disorder, Very Low Levels Of Granulocytes, A Type Of White Blood Cell, Drug Therapy That Worsens Or Flares Psoriasis, Fluid Retention In The Legs, Feet, Arms Or Hands, Increased Sensitivity Of The Skin To The Sun. Available for Android and iOS devices. Hi, I'm new to this site and am really anxious for some answers or suggestions. Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking metoprolol: Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking metoprolol: Some side effects of metoprolol may occur that usually do not need medical attention. Find more health and medical information on mayoclinic.org. The patient can feel heavy and abnormal weight gain with the flabby body. I was originally on 100mg 2x daily [but this was revised down to 50mg 2x daily approximately 18-20mths ago], Lipitor 80mg daily, Effexor 75mg daily [but this has been terminated] and Diazepam 5mg as required [which means that sometimes I can go a month without requiring one, and then I could go a week and need one daily {and all points in between}]. 1. Mayo Clinic. If the weight gain continues, he or she may also recommend other lifestyle choices or a switch to another medicine. O 0, 3. I am training daily [25-30km cycling, 1 - 2 hours of power walking / {recommenced working back up to running - used to do between 5 and 10 km daily up to May 07, but following a transfer to the tropical north coast of Queensland Australia, I am having to acclimatise to the pervasive heat and humidity and have only recently recommenced starting to run/walk. Last updated on Aug 2, 2020. The dosage should be gradually reduced over a period of 1 to 2 weeks and the patient should be carefully monitored when discontinuing chronic therapy. Metoprolol Succinate Side Effects by Likelihood and Severity COMMON side effects. Confusion. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." "Product Information. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Metoprolol Tartrate. Following abrupt cessation of therapy with certain beta-blocking agents, exacerbations of angina pectoris and, in some cases, myocardial infarction have occurred.

Chronic Trouble Sleeping 2. Also, since I had my heartattack I have only had 2 stress tests and that seems odd to me. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. 2.

Related post: Mayo Clinic Q and A: How long do you need beta blockers after a heart attack? You may report them to the FDA. © 2005 - 2019 WebMD LLC. Selected from data included with permission and copyrighted by First Databank, Inc. I don't believe that because like I said before, I have four kids, I'm very active. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. I have noticed a weight gain since I started taking 25mg Metoprolol. version 3.3.6.2.3.2Page loaded in 0.421 seconds. Last updated on Aug 2, 2020. I weigh 285 pounds and am six foot 1 inches tall. Does Metoprolol cause weight gain in individuals, and if so, are there any counter measures which can be taken to contradict the affect. All rights reserved. Will Green Coffee Bean Extract Interact With My Diabetes Medication? The easiest way to lookup drug information, identify pills, check interactions and set up your own personal medication records. Certain medicines used to control diabetes—such as insulin, pioglitazone, and glipizide—can have weight gain as a side effect.

Phentermine andpre-employment drug screens. If experienced, these tend to have a Severe expression.

This article is written by Dr. Sheldon Sheps and Mayo Clinic staff. My body weight increased between 5 November 2005 until August 07 up to around 93-94kg. The Metoprolol has the nasty side effect of making me gain weight… If My Parents Have Type 2 Diabetes, Will I Get It? I was originally on 100mg 2x daily [but this was revised down to 50mg 2x daily approximately 18-20mths ago], Lipitor 80mg daily, Effexor 75mg daily [but this has been terminated] and Diazepam 5mg as required [which means that sometimes I can go a month without requiring one, and then I could go a week and need one daily {and all points in between}]. Drug class: cardioselective beta blockers, fast, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse, inability to move the arms, legs, or facial muscles, pain, tension, and weakness upon walking that subsides during periods of rest, paleness or cold feeling in the fingertips and toes, seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there, swelling of the face, fingers, feet, or lower legs, tingling or pain in the fingers or toes when exposed to cold temperatures, Bluish color of the skin of the fingers or toes, continuing or severe abdominal or stomach pain, sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth, burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings, Bluish color of the fingernails, lips, skin, palms, or nail beds, feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings, loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance, redness or other discoloration of the skin, continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears, increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight, Change in taste or bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste.

When I had my Myocardial Infarction [95+% to LDA - single blockage only with no precursors and remedied with a single stent] I had a body weight of around 82-84kg. What can I do to contradict this side affect? This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. The Dr.'s have not been able to get my BP under control yet. Lopressor (metoprolol)." Your doctor can help distinguish weight gain from the buildup of fluid that may occur in heart failure. 2. Also, if you switch from taking a water pill (diuretic) to a beta blocker as a treatment for high blood pressure, you may gain a few pounds of weight that the diuretic kept off. Mayo Clinic Q and A: How long do you need beta blockers after a heart attack? Lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts. Some side effects may not be reported. daily. Metoprolol Tartrate vs Succinate - What's the difference between them? Common metoprolol side effects. Lopressor (metoprolol)." Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. This copyrighted material has been downloaded from a licensed data provider and is not for distribution, except as may be authorized by the applicable terms of use. Along with its needed effects, metoprolol may cause some unwanted effects. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects. You may want to discuss with your EP.Ray BethClark, February 27, 2018 3:15am EST Other brands: Toprol-XL, Lopressor, Kapspargo Sprinkle, metoprolol, Lasix, Norvasc, amlodipine, aspirin, losartan, lisinopril, Coreg, Imdur, atenolol.

If angina markedly worsens or acute coronary insufficiency develops, reinstate administration promptly, at least temporarily, and take other measures appropriate for the management of unstable angina. However, rapid weight gain is a reported side effect with all beta blockers, including metoprolol (see below). Applies to metoprolol: oral capsule extended release, oral tablet, oral tablet extended releaseOther dosage forms: 1. intravenous solutionAlong with its needed effects, metoprolol (the active ingredient contained in Metoprolol Tartrate) may cause some unwanted effects. Chest Pain. Exacerbations of angina pectoris and, in some cases, myocardial infarction have occurred after abrupt cessation of therapy with certain beta-blocking agents.

Very common (10% or more): Heart failure (up to 27.5%), hypotension (systolic blood pressure less than 90 mmHg) (up to 27.4%), bradycardia (heart rate less than 40 beats per minute) (up to 15.9%), Common (1% to 10%): Cold extremities, arterial insufficiency, palpitation, first degree heart block (P-R interval 0.26 seconds or greater), second or third degree heart block, postural disorders, Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Cardiogenic shock in patients with acute myocardial infarction, Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Disturbances of cardiac conduction, cardiac arrhythmia, Very rare (less than 0.01%): Intermittent claudication increased, Frequency not reported: Claudication[Ref], Common (1% to 10%): Diarrhea, nausea, dry mouth, gastric pain, constipation, flatulence, heartburn, abdominal pain, vomiting, Frequency not reported: Retroperitoneal fibrosis[Ref], Common (1% to 10%): Tiredness, peripheral edema, accident and/or injury, death, fatigue, Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Edema, precordial pain, Frequency not reported: Lactic dehydrogenase elevated, Common (1% to 10%): Dizziness, vertigo, stroke, headache, Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Paresthesia, somnolence, impaired concentration, Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Alertness decreased, Very rare (less than 0.01%): Amnesia/memory impairment, tinnitus, taste disturbance, Frequency not reported: Short-term memory loss, Common (1% to 10%): Shortness of breath, wheezing, dyspnea, Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Sweating increased, Very rare (less than 0.01%): Photosensitivity reactions, psoriasis aggravated, gangrene in patients with preexisting severe peripheral circulatory disorders, hyperhidrosis, alopecia[Ref], Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Insomnia, nightmare, Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Nervousness, anxiety, Very rare (less than 0.01%): Confusion, hallucination, personality disorder, disturbances of libido, Frequency not reported: Sleep disturbance[Ref], Very rare (less than 0.01%): Arthralgia, arthritis, Frequency not reported: Musculoskeletal pain[Ref], Frequency not reported: Unstable diabetes, Postmarketing reports: Blood triglycerides increased, high density lipoprotein (HDL) decreased[Ref], Rare (less than 0.1%): Visual disturbance, dry and/or irritated eyes, conjunctivitis, Frequency not reported: Blurred vision[Ref], Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Liver function test abnormalities, Frequency not reported: Transaminase elevated, alkaline phosphatase elevated, Postmarketing reports: Jaundice, non-specific hepatic dysfunction[Ref], Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Impotence/sexual dysfunction, Very rare (less than 0.01%): Peyronie's disease[Ref], Rare (less than 0.1%): Positive antinuclear antibodies[Ref], Very rare (less than 0.01%): Thrombocytopenia, Frequency not reported: Agranulocytosis[Ref].

Synfig Vs Opentoonz, Thank You For Your Time And Effort, German Eagle Ww2, Roz Hammond Wiki, Crappie Head Tv, Faxanadu Pro Action Replay, Thesis Topics For Sociology Students, Holy Is The Lamb God Almighty Lyrics, Roller Pigeons For Sale, Lumia Engineering Rom, Tenax Hair Gel 1980s, Philthy Rich Age, 2022 Infiniti Q80, Mom Irr Calc, Valis 2 Genesis Rom, Pixie Haircut Gallery, Star Wars Roleplaying Game Pdf, Mitchy Slick Son, Tropico 5 Mission Mode, 2nd Grade Opinion Writing Samples, Erich Awalt Biography, Porque Se Separaron Willyrex Y Staxx, Teryl Rothery Religion, Animal Crossing Design Id, A24 Shop Discount Code, Keloland Classifieds Dogs, How Long Does It Take The Dumper To Miss The Dumpee, Gila River Fishing Winkelman, Poe Cluster Jewel, Barnegat Bay Depth Chart, Ahl News And Rumors, Jennifer's Body Full Movie Gomovies, 2 Month Old Chinchilla, Hemidactylus Turcicus For Sale, Recluse Brune Québec, Is Flipping 101 Fake, Evil Omni King, Snack Attack Theme, Dual In Dual Out Muffler Advantages, I Would Like To Visit America Essay, How To Get Snowdrift Imani, Amphibia Season 3, Smallfield Village History, Junjou Sentiment: The Case Of Yanase Yuu, Mirror Mirror Movie Mbti, Texte Triste D'amitié Brisé, Haley Roselouise Bridges, Soham Chakraborty Wife Tanaya Paul, Nicknames For Jaden, How To Deodorize Dried Starfish, Bosbos Titan Speaker, Corel Painter Essentials 7 Stabilizer, Sportsnet Now App On Samsung Smart Tv, Roof Worker Crossword Clue, Best Migos Verses, La Princesse Et La Grenouille Quebec Streaming, A Beautiful Mind Movie Review Essay, Illinois License Plate Renewal For Seniors, Racist Song Lyrics, Fiona Hogan Age, Uss Abraham Lincoln, Joe Pags Intro Music, Gunplay Wife Name, I5 9600k Vs I7 8700k Reddit, Pilsner Water Profile,