lovecraft fear of the unknown quote
The dog barks and begs and tumbles to amuse you when you crack the whip. Your worst fears can come true at any moment. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. Copyright © Fandango. And just as inferior people prefer the inferior animal which scampers excitedly because someone else wants something, so do superior people respect the superior animal which lives its own life and knows that the puerile stick-throwings of alien bipeds are none of its business and beneath its notice. We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. With Robin Atkin Downes, Neil Gaiman, Peter Straub, Guillermo del Toro. Logged in users can submit quotes. With such an honest and inflexible openness to evidence, they could not fail to receive any real truth which might be manifesting itself around them. It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear. BrainyQuote has been providing inspirational quotes since 2001 to our worldwide community. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”, “I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.”, “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.”, “It is good to be a cynic — it is better to be a contented cat — and it is best not to exist at all.”, “I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.”, “Throw a stick, and the servile dog wheezes and pants and stumbles to bring it to you.

The following quotes come from Lovecraft’s fiction, poems, essays, and letters. "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.

Logged in users can submit quotes. The cat, on the other hand, charms you into playing for its benefit when it wishes to be amused; making you rush about the room with a paper on a string when it feels like exercise, but refusing all your attempts to make it play when it is not in the humour. There are times when fear is good. But some of us awake in the night with strange phantasms of enchanted hills and gardens, of fountains that sing in the sun, of golden cliffs overhanging murmuring seas, of plains that stretch down to sleeping cities of bronze and stone, and of shadowy companies of heroes that ride caparisoned white horses along the edges of thick forests; and then we know that we have looked back through the ivory gates into that world of wonder which was ours before we were wise and unhappy.”, “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear.”, “Ultimate horror often paralyses memory in a merciful way.”, “In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulu waits dreaming”, The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories, Collected Essays 5: Philosophy, Autobiography and Miscellany, The Call of Cthulhu: With a Dedication by George Henry Weiss, Against Religion: The Atheist Writings of H.P.

Bachche Man Ke Sachche Lyrics In English, Lottery Simulator Nba, Texte Argumentatif Bac, Andrea Tantaros Married, Valentina Lisitsa Height, Countries That Have Experienced Modern Economic Growth Have Also Tended To, What Happened To Chuck Aspegren, My Evil Eye Bracelet Fell Off, College Biology Worksheets Pdf, Is Makayla An Irish Name, Salvage Hunters Chemist Shop, Ed Kowalczyk Family, Kyle Bass Wife, Movie Noble Sheep, John Wildhack Salary, Who Is Victor Williams Wife, Craigslist Pedasi, Panama, Galileo Thermometer Broke, Taylormade M5 Driver Settings, 2021 Tacoma Redesign, Trane Xr17 Vs Xl18i, Funeral Donation Box Ideas, Lamprey Disease Ark, Stanford Optional Short Essays, Matt Brown Wife, Eva Marie Dad, When I See Your Smile Tik Tok Song, Brianna Bisson Age, Bard Of Blood Web Series Download Movierulz, Jared Spurgeon Family, Rbx Shoes Red, Article 91 Counseling, Trailblazer Off Road Build, Crescent Axe Ds2, Thesis Topics For Sociology Students, Shopify Customer Success Guru Interview, Panne Chez Vidéotron, Dodgy Dave Dq8, Sweet Gesture Meaning, Forrest Gump Metaphors, How Many Crunches Can The Average Person Do, Bruno's Ny Style Pizza Dough Recipe, Snowbound Movie 2017 Wiki, Rajapalayam Dog For Sale In Namakkal, Kelly Soft White Underbelly Gofundme, Charles Saatchi Net Worth 2020, Illinois License Plate Renewal For Seniors, Php Blueprint Pdf, Otto Sirgo Edad, Nicknames For Carter, Hannah Below Deck Josh, Renaissance Golf Club Haverhill, Ma Membership Cost, Roof Worker Crossword Clue, Gsm Skimmer Reddit,