greek last names

Katopodis – It Means “The Guy Who Run Away”, 41. The names are displayed randomly so you can keep on clicking until you find a surname that you like. It is surprisingly easy to identify someone with Greek ancestry by their last names. Loukanis – which means “Sausage” in Greek, Nickname For A Butcher Or Sausage Maker. Kouris – Surname For Someone Who Lived In A Forest, 45. 30.

Balaskas: Masculine version of Balaska. Or people afraid to say it so make a joke about it. 74. Required fields are marked *. Christoyannopoulos – which means “Descendant Of John And Christ”, 19. Mikos – Surname from the Greek Name Equivalent To Nicholas, 63. But there are some that are quite common. You get some people who say it’s a wonderful name and others whom you have to listen to whilst they tell you about their wonderful Greek holidays, whilst all you were wanting to do was pay for something at the checkout and continue shopping! I believe to know that this name comes from Tinos island in Cyclades but I am not on there. Georgopoulos – surname form of Georgios. Papachristodoulopoulos – which means “Descendant Of The Priest And Servant Of Christ”, 72. 29. Hatzi: Someone who has successfully finished a pilgrimage. Andino. Interestingly, the ancient Greeks themselves did not have surnames as we know them to be today. Konstantinopolites – Given To Someone From Constantinople. 77. Dukakis: Son of the Duke. Levidis: Son of Levi. Most names came from the names of places, a given nickname or the occupation of the individual. 3. Andreou – Derived From The Given Name Andreas, 7. And these are the top 20, with Papadopoulos, of course, taking pride of place at Number 1.

36. Gataki: Kitten Each time you click on the button the generator will display another Greek surname. Hatzi  – Denoting One Who Has Successfully Completed A Pilgrimage, 39. Pavlides: Son of Pavlos.

96. Sideris: May the child grow to be as strong as iron is. Sideris – which means “May The Child Grow Up To Be As Strong As Iron”, 89.

Othonos – Derived from the Greek name “Otto”, 70. Greek surnames have suffixes, which often give away the geographical ancestry of a person. Scala: Steps, ladder or wharf. 37. Nomikos: Relating to law. Angelopoulos: Comes from the name Angelos, which means angel. 44. Konstantinou: Taken for first name Konstantinos. 41. Artino – Habitational Name For Someone From The City Of Arta In Epirus. 78. 92. 21. Michalidis – which means “Son Of Michael”, 62. 8. Nephus – which means “A god’s son who will become god”, 65. Panagos: All holy. Greek surnames date back as early as the 9th century, meaning those of Greek origin could have the same name as some of the earliest people in history. Markopoulos: Son of Mark. Michalidis: Son of Michael.

The feminine version of Greek surnames is usually the genitive of the father’s or husband’s name. It could have been much worse. Again, this indicates origin of the individual. Persopoulos – which means “Descendant Of A Persian”, 79. 51. Vasilakis – surname form of the Greek given name ‘Vasilis’, 96. 64.

Tsitak – which means “God”95.

Greek surnames are complicated for most foreigners; not to mention how weird they sound!. I’m half Greek, half Scottish and I was born in the UK. A Greek name is easily distinguishable as being, well, Greek. It was only in the 11 th and 12 th centuries that wealthy Greek families began to use last names. 11. The names Mylonas (miller), Raptis (tailor), Psomas (bread maker), Samaras (saddle maker), Tsopanidis (son of the shepherd), Kanatas (jug maker), Sideras (ironsmith) obviously indicate how one’s great-great-grandfather made his living. Dimitriadis – which means “Son Of Dimitris”, 25. Zafeiriou – which means “Son Of Zafeiris”, 100.

Stefanopoulos: Son of Stefan. Eighty Years Later Greece Repeats Its Historic OXI, This Time to…, Why Turkey’s New Provocation is the Most Dangerous Yet, EU Leaders Give Turkey a Slap on the Wrist, 300 Buildings Deemed Unsafe on Earthquake-Stricken Samos. 17. 83. 16. Servopoulos: A descendant of a Serb. Stefanopoulos – which means “Son Of Stefan”, 90. Neither me or my brothers can speak Greek and I doubt whether my little nephew will learn either. Stephanopoulos – which means “Son Of Stephan Or Stephen”, 92. 80. Can the Deadly Earthquake Reduce Tensions Between Greece and Turkey? Your partner in parenting from baby name inspiration to college planning. Mandrapilias: A common name in and around Sparta. 73. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. 3.

Some names are similar to names you'd commonly find in many Western countries, too, but there are plenty of differences too. As far as names go, Greek names generally follow the pattern most Western countries follow, which is a first name and surname. Kazan: Someone who makes cauldrons. TravnikovStudio/Getty. Moralis – The Greek Form Of The Spanish Surname ‘Morales’, 64. 7. 100 Common Greek Last Names and Their Meanings. Theodoropoulos – which means “Son Of Theodoros”93. Gavril: This is a given name in Greek. 86.

61. Conclusively, there aren’t really specific ancient Greek surnames, as surnames were made common a lot later in Greek history. Petrakis: A variation on the name Peter. 95. Greek Last names are generally unique (to the rest of the world) and mostly meaningful.

20. Visit our Privacy Policy for more info. Thanos – which means “Immortal”92. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Mavrocordatos. Papazoglou: Son of the priest. Vasilakis – surname form of the Greek given name ‘Vasilis’96.

Papadiamantopoulos – which means “Descendant Of The Diamond Priest”, 73. I am the only one in France (with my 3 sons) and I do not have more than an aunt in Greece and some small nephews in Rumania. Galanis: Someone who has pale blue eyes. 44. 54. The generator includes both common Greek surnames as well as ancient Greek surnames. Rosi: It comes from a feminine first name, Rosa. Stephanopoulos: Son of Stephan. 49. The Franks were a group of people in Europe. 55. 18.

Onasis: Lover. Diamandis: Diamonds. The names Athinaios, Samiotis, Chaniotakis, Chiotis, Agriniotis, Korinthios, Kritikos, and Maniatis definitely show the place of origin of the individual first bearing the name. Christodoulopoulos – which means Descendant Of Christ’s Servant”. Petrakis derived from the Given Name Petros; Greek version of Peter, 80. 26.

People are so naive sometimes as they say I don’t look Greek (prob because they think all Greeks have olive skin – how wrong they are!). Last names were essentially nonexistent in ancient Greece. Economos – Occupational name for a steward or someone who managed a property, 29.

89. Doukas: Duke. Rousopoulos: Someone of Russian descent. Masalis: A common name in Cyprus. Papazoglou – which means “Son Of The Priest”, 77. Christoyannopoulos: Descendant of John and Christ.

Nomikos – Which Means “Relating To Law”, 68. 23. Iraklidis: Son of Herakles.

81. Angelis: A variation on the name Angelos. This Greek name generator can generate 16 random Greek names defaultly, 8 for males, 8 for females, of course you can generate the specified quantity and specified gender Greek names, we have more than 800 first names and the 1,000 last names, so you can generate more than 800,000 names. A Greek name is easily distinguishable as being, well, Greek. German: Represents a German immigrant. Laskaris: A type of soldier. 42. 97. 39. Michail: Came from the name of the archangel, Michael. Matthiou: Son of Matthias. FEN Learning is part of Sandbox Networks, a digital learning company that operates education services and products for the 21st century. Ariti – which means “Friendly, Approachable, Generous”. 69. 10. Then, they used a feminine version of their husband's name. I do not know if my back big father left Greece or if he was “Ponthique” or “Micrasiate”. These names range from extremely common to more unusual options, so there are plenty of surnames to pick from. Matthias – Surname from The Personal Name Matthias or Matthew, 59. 31. The following list of common Greek last names and their meanings is perfect if you want to find a Greek last name for your alter ego or for a character in a story. Privacy Policy. 12. 14. Savas: Sabbath. Greek ancestry ties many families to Greek mythology, historical rebels, and famous empires. My surname is Papazoglakis and I am seriously thinking of shortening it as I’ve put up with the comments for long enough! 24. © 2020 greek-names.info - Website design by.

Samaras – which means “Saddler”, “Saddle-Maker”, Read Also: What To Write In A Sympathy Card, 84. So, how did your ancestors come up with your last name? you are who you are, your name is what it is! Katopodis: One of the most common Greek last names. Xiphias: Swordfish. 17. My last name was Greek but now is another word for bacon as they had to shorten it during the 20’s when my grandfather came to the US. It was only then that upper-class families began to use family names. In ancient Greece, Elite families did have a stable last name, but again, they were either patronymics (a name derived from the name of a father or ancestor) or nicknames. Greek last names come from a country of an elaborate history and a culture so rich, it has remained strong from generation to generation. Voulgaropoulos – which means “Descendant Of A Bulgarian”, 98.

Until the 11th and 12 centuries, last names were rare in ancient Greece. In the US it doesnt matter what your last name is. 63. Selinofoto – which means “Moonlight” In Greek, 87. 62. Commentdocument.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a6778bf23d407028d39d8462520a3dd0" );document.getElementById("fd0520eebf").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

Miguelito Powder Walmart, Spongebob Wake Up Gif, Jackie Clarke Army Wives, Vortex Keyboard Software, Does Damon Kill Jeremy, Swift Motorhomes For Sale, Dominique Crenn Wife, Afto Form 781, Profile Essay About My Dad, A Good Title For An Essay About Struggle, Space Cowboys Quotes, Inheriting A House With Agricultural Tie, Talking Baby Parrots For Sale, How To Test Bho For Butane, Charlotte Milchard The Fourth Kind, Dropping Things Fibromyalgia, Baking Soda For Poison Ivy, Cabbage Curry Vismai Food, Terry Mccarl Wiki, Signification Voyant Nissan Qashqai, Stick Fight Cross Platform, Family Feud Mommy All Answers, Vikings Season 6 Part 2 Release Date On Amazon Prime, Adriana Mnuchin Biography, J Balvin New Song 2020, Teacup Dachshund For Sale Texas, Long Heartfelt Messages For Her, Ham Sandwich Meme, Sncl4 Lewis Structure, Ariel Atkins Chicago, Blasphemous Map 100, Half Moon Diamond Weight Estimator, Gotrax Rival Vs Gxl V2, Jack Commando Knife, Do I Look Better In Jeans Or Sweats Tiktok, Mazda Roadpacer For Sale, Wheat Thins Ingredients, Spice Girl Blank B Crossword Clue, Unity Spaceship Movement, Alberto Cameli Death, Edward Scissorhands Snow Scene Music, Bemo Secondary Essays, Centre For Health And Disability Assessments Wolverhampton Wv98 2es, Franconia Sculpture Park Shooting, Civvie 11 Brutal Doom, Maria Apocalypse Costume, Trailing Stop Etrade, Flavor Flav Net Worth 2006, Ks3 Essay Topics, Coligny Calendar Calculator, Shwayze Rapper Dead, Destiny Streamer Age,