carlos dardano eye

( Log Out /  Shortly after the pilots switched on the emergency backup generator, the engines overheated and there was a dual engine flameout.

At 29 years of age, Dardano had amassed 13,410 flight hours, with almost 11,000 of these as pilot in command.

On May 24, 1988, the Boeing 737-300 lost power in both engines, but its pilots made a successful deadstick landing on a grass levee adjacent to NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility, with no one aboard sustaining more than minor injuries, and with only minor damage to the aircraft. When I say *briefly*, I mean it like this: “We have a dead stick Boeing 737, 40 miles east of the field, in IFR weather.”. My mom is Carlos and he’s my cousin. “S” and I ran over to see what was going on.

Don’t feel guilty about not believing the story, I didn’t believe it when I saw it on TV back in 1988.

his response as we all exploded in laughter (I had to play along) : “ES QUE ESOS GRINGOS SON UNOS GRANDES CULEROS!! The BE20 (King Air) took off with the new instructions. You’re in DC?

The aircraft, a Boeing 737-3T0 (tail number N75356, serial number 23838, the 1,505th Boeing 737 manufactured), had first flown on January 26, 1988. “S” and I were in the back of the radar room and couldn’t see firsthand what was going on. I called the Navy tower and told them to change to Runway 22 for an emergency arrival. I know….

I’ll attempt to draw this branch of the family tree after consulting with my grandma, Maria Isabel Dardano Gonzalez. Sorry, didn’t answer the question directly….Dinorah married Tio Tony and is the mother of Carlos. That’s when “J” offered up the possibility of landing on Interstate 10.

Capt. At this point, the pilots began to prepare for a ditching, as no runway was reachable with the remaining altitude.

[2], The aircraft registered N697SW in service with, Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport, List of airline flights that required gliding, "Emergency-shortened flight is completed", "Boeing 737 - MSN 23838 - N697SW - Southwest Airlines", "N697SW - Aircraft info and flight history", "The Extraordinary Landing of TACA International Flight 110", "Miraculous Plane Landing on New Orleans Levee", Description of the NASA Michoud Facility and Air Traffic Controller's account of the event, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=TACA_Flight_110&oldid=981797390, Airliner accidents and incidents in Louisiana, Airliner accidents and incidents caused by weather, Aviation accidents and incidents in the United States in 1988, Airliner accidents and incidents caused by engine failure, Accidents and incidents involving the Boeing 737 Classic, Avianca El Salvador accidents and incidents, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Articles with unsourced statements from April 2019, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.

Fabiola! You should be very proud of your family. Two days ago, this episode of Mayday was uploaded on YouTube.

( Log Out /  The airliner had been in service with TACA for about two weeks[1] after it was acquired from Polaris Aircraft Leasing in May 1988. Your father’s tale of heroism was so awesome that I refused to believe it for years. I saw a dad who thought I was still young enough to believe a tall tale. I immediately wanted to message him, but I wasn’t quite sure where to start.

Carlos Dardano landed a 737 on a narrow levee in New Orleans after the engines flamed out in a rainstorm in 1988. Heard about this story recently from my aunt who is Carlos’ first cousin.

It was understandable on their part. At that time I called the Coast Guard stationed at the Navy base. Remember the New Orleans Lakefront Airport I told to hold all their traffic? Thanks for reading my blog! I can tell you this. Submit interesting and specific facts about something that you just found out here.

Also, additional bleed doors were added to drain more water from the engine.

I just saw the episode and decided to google him! I am pretty proud to have any small connection to this great story. The auxiliary power unit (APU) was started as the plane descended through 10,500 feet (3,200 m), restoring electrical power. I was researching the origins of the name Dardano with my mom, Frieda Margarita Dardano of El Salvador, and got a hit on this blog entry. The other was the glide ratio of the flight and the distance they would need to fly to get to the airport. [5][6][7], The incident was featured in Nowhere to Land, the 11th episode of the 11th season of Mayday (Air Crash Investigation).

Wow, small world.

As soon as he heard it he knew it was a good idea. Reach me at c h e o j e @ g m a i l .

My email is provided via the “response requirements”. The aircraft was towed from the levee to the nearby NASA facility, fueled to the minimum amount needed and departed from Saturn Boulevard, a roadway built atop the original World War II-era runway. Still, it was their desire. I called Lakefront tower and told them to do just that even though the airspace was not under my jurisdiction.

He wasn’t even exaggerating. The flight entered clouds at FL 300 (about 30,000 feet or 9,100 metres), the crew selecting "continuous ignition" and turning on engine anti-ice to protect their turbofan engines from the effects of precipitation and icing, either of which is capable of causing a flameout, where the engines lose all power.

I’m so excited to see a comment from someone else with a connection to this story! We all knew the local roadways, Interstate included. I think your blog is great and I have subscribed.

I have been in the cockpit with them many times (before 9-11) and remember one time in particular commenting to the Capt. It was risky, but so was everything else. To avoid a catastrophic fire, Carlos shut the engines off again and put the plane back into free fall, while realizing he wasn’t going to make it to the New Orleans airport.

Pingback: Time to pay attention to what’s happening in El Salvador | The Fab Files. The captain of the flight was Carlos Dardano. They may be better grounded than you think.

He was able to see Taca 110 on the levee.

My dad saw a kid who was finally old enough to process an incredible story. The BE20 pilot reported the aircraft intact and “People are running like Hell away from it.”.

We all thought the aircraft had stalled, spun, and crashed. Myself and another controller, “S”, had just signed in for the afternoon in the radar room. He was also an instrument rated pilot and flight instructor.

Maybe you should try to contact his daughter, maybe she’ll respond… good luck! My dad asks if you’re related to Dinorah and Eugenio? I am grateful to you for sharing your story. I think it’s totally uncool that he never replied. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. The captain of the flight was Carlos Dardano.

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Here’s the background on that seemingly odd offer.

Dardano also only had one eye from when his plane was shot at during the civil war in El Salvador.

Very cool to hear the stories from the man himself.

Earlier in his career, he had lost an eye to crossfire on a short flight to El Salvador, where civil war was raging at the time. Hi Greg!

Dardano lined up with a canal and prepared the aircraft for a water landing. Investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) revealed that during descent from FL 350 (about 35,000 feet or 11,000 metres) in preparation for their impending arrival at New Orleans International Airport, Captain Dardano and First Officer Lopez noticed areas of light to moderate precipitation in their path, depicted as green and yellow areas on their weather radar, as well as "some isolated red cells" indicative of heavy precipitation to both sides of their intended flight path.[3].

The next one will be about a flight to El Salvador on a TACA flight. Obviously meant to say Carlos is my cousin (not mom as I now realize I wrote…) My mom is the daughter of Antonio and Julia Dardano and sister of Tony Dardano (Tio Tony to me), who in turn is father of Carlos (or Carlitos as my mother calls him). Earlier in his career, he had lost an eye to crossfire on a short flight to El Salvador, where civil war was raging at the time.

(2) Images from Flickr's creative commons -- I also use many pictures that I get through the creative commons, but I encourage you to check individual licenses if you'd like to re-use any of these external works.

Your site looks great, too. His co-pilot spotted a levee parallel to a canal, and Carlos began a risky maneuver meant for small planes called a, “For the first time in history, a 737 without any engines has landed safely outside of an airport.”, If storytelling is an engine of empathy, why wouldn’t you explore the stories that really haunt people? Carlos Dardano and crew’s actions showed me what the phrase “heroic dedication” really meant. [3], NTSB investigators determined that the aircraft had inadvertently flown into a level 4 thunderstorm and that water ingestion had caused both engines to flame out despite them being certified to meeting Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) standards for water ingestion. Heavy rain and hail combined with lower air speed, resulting in flameout of both engines. Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. It would be even cooler if you got to meet your “Uncle” (did you ever do the family tree?)! By taking their altitude three times in three sweeps I had calculated their decent rate per minute and factored it with the distance to fly. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account.

“S” asked the condition of the scene.

Despite flying a route between the two areas of heavy precipitation shown on radar, they encountered heavy rain, hail, and turbulence.

Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account.

It was then we watched as the plane made a hard turn.

He was a pilot that landed TACA Flight 110 after both of the engines flameout due to heavy rain and hail. The plane was carrying 38 passengers and several crew members. They said in the end that both of his kids (son and daughter) became pilots. Your description was so vivid — I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to write it all out. Dardano landed his plane on a grass levee with only one eye. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Max Burpees En 1 Minute, Aaa Speckle Park, Hazel Twigs For Weaving, 2000 Seadoo Gs Specs, Hope Lange Jessica Lange Related, 4k Panoramic Wallpaper, Heavy Duty Dolly Rental, What Happened To Jason O Smith, High School English Worksheets With Answers, Rockall Energy Stock, Peter Holm Md, Mendenhall Glacier Facts, Animal Crossing Amiibo Cards List, Toner Cheveux Jean Coutu, Ross Duffer Height, Paul Clement Net Worth, Phrase Qui Fait Pleurer Un Homme, Vault Career Guide To Investment Banking 2018 Pdf, 厳しい状況 ビジネス メール, M3 Grease Gun, Who Is Leaving General Hospital In 2020, Aldi Herbal Tea, Housewarming Reminder Message, Musnad Ahmad Vol 4 English Pdf, Bones Of The Earth 5e, Benelli M3 Parts, Toni Mannix Net Worth, Synfig Vs Opentoonz,