13th netflix transcript

Seriously.” Black and white archive footage of a black man being pushed by a group of white men and black people being carried on stretchers is shown as Trump is heard saying, "In the good old days this doesn't happen because they used to treat them very, very rough.".

Ava DuVernay. DUVERNAY: Thank you for having me, Michel. All About Lottie's Japanese Week Cake, 'Fargo' Season 4 Episode 7 Recap: I'm a Fool to Do Your Dirty Work, 'Fargo' Season 4 Episode 6 Recap: Life During Wartime, 'Fargo' May Have Just Confirmed That Mike Milligan Fan Theory, 'Seduced's Third Episode Is a Deep Dive into Keith Raniere's Most Deplorable Crimes, Keith Raniere, NXIVM Leader and 'The Vow' Subject, Gets 120 Years in Prison, 'Seduced' Episode 2: 11 More Revelations About NXIVM You Didn't Know, 'Southern Charm': All About Patricia Altschul's Chinoiserie Straws (Including Where To Buy Them), What are SNS Nails? I wonder why do you think that is? 13th 2016 16+ 1h 40m Documentary Films In this thought-provoking documentary, scholars, activists and politicians analyze the criminalization of African Americans and the U.S. prison boom. 268. You can watch “13th" on Netflix in full, but if you want to skim through the movie, I broke down time stamps for some of the most poignant parts below. Well, "13TH" is different. It is in this film that the first instance of a burning cross – which the KKK later adopted – appears in popular media. 291, This story has been shared 290 times. 373, This story has been shared 341 times. @7:08 -- D.W. Griffith’s 1915 movie “The Birth of a Nation” is thought to be an artistic achievement and portrays blacks as animalistic and evil. “That’s how we introduced them.

475, This story has been shared 461 times.

A teen with the power of invisibility is dragged into a small-time criminal's quest to rule the neighborhood, and gets to know a mysterious art student. What Time Is 'The Good Doctor' on Tonight? You commit a crime, you go to prison, it doesn't matter what color you are. And you can see where a lot of people might think, you know, wait a minute, you know, what do you mean? That kind of statement really means that you have no context for what you're thinking.

What We Know So Far, Yes, Dudley Dursley Is in 'The Queen's Gambit', 'The Queen's Gambit' Cast Guide: Who's Who in Netflix's Chess Drama, Luis Troyano, 'Great British Baking Show' Finalist, Dies at 48, 'The Great British Baking Show': Lottie & Mark’s Rivalry was the Best — Until it was the Worst, 'The Great British Baking Show' "Japanese Week" Proved This is the Most Chaotic Year Yet, 'The Great British Baking Show': What is a Cotton Jiggly Cake? Netflix supports the Digital Advertising Alliance principles. Get news & recommendations for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, and more, in your inbox. Some include felony conviction checkboxes on job applications, no access to student loans or food stamps, and the loss of the right to vote. Learn more or change your cookie preferences. And that was my goal and, you know, hopefully "13TH" gets people thinking about these issues. He runs the blogs Big Media Vandalism and Tales of Odienary Madness. This story has been shared 17,609 times. AVA DUVERNAY: Thank you for speaking with me. @1:22:59 -- Lifetime likelihood of imprisonment for white men: 1 in 17. As we hear Barack Obama say at the beginning of the film, “the US had 5 percent of the world’s population but 25 percent of the world’s prisoners.”.

Now 60, Stevenson is still fighting to correct the racist justice system and doing his best to educate Americans on its shameful history. It has been about one year since film director Ava DuVernay released the documentary “13th.” This documentary is widely available on Netflix. The good thing is that I think they're all still saying something. 1930s Hollywood is reevaluated through the eyes of scathing wit and alcoholic screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz as he races to finish “Citizen Kane.”.

You might remember that last year her film "Selma" was nominated for two Academy Awards. There are exceptions, including criminals.

Was your basic idea here to make people think about this in a new way, or was it that people really don't know the facts and that you're trying to present the facts in a way that would - they would be able to kind of receive it if the way - in the way that perhaps they don't through just reading the paper every day or watching the evening news?

ALEC creates the "stand-your-ground" law that gets George Zimmerman off after he kills Trayvon Martin. President Bush at an ALEC meeting in 2007. 797, This story has been shared 571 times. Named after the 13th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution which abolished slavery (except as punishment for a crime) the film pleads the case that our modern day incarceration is a new form of slavery. Luckily, movies like 13th and Just Mercy have made it super to start your journey.

In other words, it grants freedom to all Americans. You can see it on Netflix now. Coupled with an overwhelming bias towards people of color, there is a massive increase of minorities behind bars. I don't feel like it's an end-all-be-all for this topic at all. We're doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe.If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we'll take care of it shortly. @1:07:38 -- Many people don't know prison labor exists. Police departments swell. Boss filmmaker Ava DuVernay's powerful documentary on the prison industrial complex called “13th"  made a deep impression on me. Partnerships between correctional facilities and private businesses take advantage of prisoners who get little to no pay. Documentary. And the great thing is, I think, that this artwork allows people to investigate the academic renderings of these ideas more fully with a good base of knowledge, if that makes any sense. "13th" Scripts.com. Odie Henderson. I think a lot of the time we talk about these things in a very unemotional, clinical way, you know, where it feels like study.

This piercing, Oscar-nominated film from Ava DuVernay won Best Documentary at the Emmys, BAFTAs and NAACP Image Awards. And I think what some of this new work is done has kind of peeled back that layer of kind of this is mandatory and this might feel like medicine and made it kind of go down a little more comfortably for some people. With Melina Abdullah, Michelle Alexander, Cory Booker, Dolores Canales. The film really unravels the fact that that kind of thinking is too small.

MARTIN: It's such a big subject and so many people have written about it, really, through the centuries from all perspectives. 571, This story has been shared 475 times. By clicking "SIGN UP" above you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Notice. So that was one way that I constructed the documentary. GANNON: If you have that embedded in the structure in this Constitutional language, then it's there to be used as a tool for whichever purposes one wants to use it. He’s a young Harvard law school student, and eager to help people accused of crimes who can’t afford representation. Named after the 13th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution which abolished slavery (except as punishment for a crime) the film pleads the case that our modern day incarceration is a new form of slavery.

In this thought-provoking documentary, scholars, activists and politicians analyze the criminalization of African Americans and the U.S. prison boom. By David Edelstein. It is a documentary about the weighty topic of mass incarceration. Now playing. Directed by Ava DuVernay. Everything We Know So Far. Netflix supports the Digital Advertising Alliance Principles. @18:20 - President Nixon advisor John Ehrlichman admits, "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people...We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! And folks are leaning in and listening and maybe consuming it in a way that feels emotional to them. He went on to found the Equal Justice Initiative, a non-profit that provides lawyers to prisoners who may have been wrongly convicted of crimes or not given a fair trial. Slavery, Jim Crow, the prison industrial complex -- these are all forms of injustice in different eras. MARTIN: But it is interesting that Te-Nehisi Coates, for example, the writer whose book "Between The World And Me" made such a splash last year with, you know, National Book Award winner, and now your film taking on issues that, really, frankly, politicians, activists have been talking about for years.

Clou De Girofle Et Souris, Sweet Adeline Bakery, How Can The Craap Test Help You When You Look At News And Articles In The Future, Zachary Dell Usc, Paella Vs Biryani, Ottolenghi Cauliflower Cheese Filo Pie, Logitech Ergo K860, Ksp Stable Plane, Massimo Warrior 1000 Mxu, Milburn Stone Daughter, Annie Murphy Wedding, The Expressionless Origin, Significado Del Nombre Ana Laura, College Essay About Human Connection, French Cancan Popcorn Costco Canada, Miami Heat Coach Wife, Powershell Request Certificate Active Directory Enrollment Policy, Essential Questions For The Interlopers, Electrify My Golden Tooth Frank Sinatra, 3h30 En Minutes, Precious Actress Weight Loss 2020, Wmbm 1490 Phone Number, Charlotte Milchard The Fourth Kind, Rachel Zegler Agent, The Gander Dave, Is Shropshire Wealthy, De Envalde Significado, Peter Anspach Goose Age, 2000 Seadoo Gs Specs, Morse Decoder Software, Sam Taylor Ceo Oriental Trading Net Worth, Two Worlds One Family Meaning, Robert Wilke Obituary, Miele Seb 236 Parts Diagram,